The message template library contains pre-populated templates sent to applicants during the hiring process. When creating job workflows, message templates are assigned to individual workflow stages and steps. Opening the Message Templates tab from the main menu will display all available templates. To view templates by message type, select a folder to display the available templates. Users with permissions can edit, clone, or delete the content of the message templates as needed.
Message templates are generated and sent from your hiring system based on the type of message selected. Users can trigger messages from the assigned workflow stages and steps in each candidate's applicant file.
Message Template Types
Message templates are arranged in folders by message type. To view templates by message type, select a folder to display the available templates. Users with permissions can edit, clone, or delete the content of the message templates as needed. The following message types are available:
- Hire Notification - Hire notifications are sent to applicants when they have been hired in the system.
- Iterative Applications - Iterative application messages are sent when Part 2 of a job has been activated.
- Meeting / Calendar - Messages with meeting and calendar invitations are sent to applicants or system users during the screening or interview scheduling process. These include message templates for phone screens, interview requests, or interview confirmations.
- Offer - Offer messages are sent to applicants when an offer has been initiated.
- Received - Applicants will receive the application submission confirmation at the time their application is submitted.
- References - Reference messages are sent to the references provided by an applicant.
- Rejection Notification - Rejection messages are sent to applicants when they have been rejected in the system.
- Standard - Standard message templates can be added to custom steps within a job's workflow.
- Sharing - Sharing messages are sent to external collaborators when sharing an applicant file.
To revert back to any of the provided default templates review Default Message Templates.
Creating Message Templates
- Select the Message Templates tab on the menu then click +Create Message Template.
- Enter an internal Message Name.
- Enter a Subject that will be visible to applicants.
- Select Message Type to indicate where the template will be stored.
- Use the text editor to create the body of the message template. To use system-generated content, see message tokens below.
- When finished, click Create.
Working with Message Templates
The Message Templates tab in your hiring system is the library of all message templates. Click the ⋮ menu of a template to clone, edit, or delete.
Clone: To build a similar message template, you can clone an existing template, make any changes, and save it under a new title. When cloning a template, it will be added into the same message type folder as the original.
Edit: Editing a message template is a good option if there are changes that you would like to apply to all future uses of this existing template. While editing, you can change the internal message name, subject line, or body text as needed.
Delete: Deleting a message template will remove it from the system. Performing this action cannot be reversed. If you are trying to delete a template currently in use, you'll be prompted to select a replacement message template. If a replacement is unavailable, you cannot delete the message template.
Message Template Tokens
Message tokens are data placeholders to be filled in with system-generated content. When you insert message template tokens into message templates, the system will auto-populate the applicant content. When sent, the system content in between the ## symbols will be replaced with the corresponding information for that applicant or hiring system.
|Message Template Token||Description|
|##applicant-email-address##||The applicant's email address.|
|##applicant-first-name##||The applicant's first name.|
|##applicant-last-name##||The applicant's last name.|
|##applicant-phone-number##||The applicant's provided phone number.|
|##calendar-link##||The hiring system link to the selected calendar dates and times.|
|##instance-name##||The instance name is the unique name of your hiring system.|
|##job-title##||Title of the job.|
|##offer-link##||The hiring system link to the applicant's offer details.|
|##reference-name##||The reference's first name and last name.|
Note: If a user edits or removes the provided message token content from a message template before sending, the system-populated information cannot be added to the message.